This morning, we launched the newest era of Orion monitoring alongside main updates to our Unity and Unreal integrations. We’ve additionally taken a number of steps to streamline the developer expertise, reflecting deeper modifications in our SDK over time. Past the monitoring updates, right here’s a fast overview of the newest modifications in our SDK.
Unity Core Property four.four.zero options a variety of optimizations and enhancements. Main modifications embody:
- VR rig simplification. The variety of scripts required to assemble a Leap Movement-enabled VR rig has been tremendously decreased, and the required rig hierarchy has been closely simplified. Hand information that’s adjusted appropriately for an XR headset and gadget latency can now be obtained by including a single element to the Primary Digital camera.
- SDK window. We’ve added a brand new window that allows you to scan and improve previous Leap Movement rigs, verify settings for the Interplay Engine, and alter module preferences for the Graphic Renderer.
- VectorHand. One among many potential light-weight encodings of a Leap Hand, this lossy but expressive encoding is appropriate for light-weight recording and playback or community transmission.
- Auto-upgrade. In the event you’re upgrading from an older venture that integrated Leap rigs from Core four.three.four or earlier, the SDK Window features a utility to auto-upgrade these rigs.
We’ve additionally made vital modifications to the Interplay Engine, together with:
- a brand new element that lets Colliders be ignored by the Interplay Engine
- improved small-object greedy
- extra constant greedy of an object that was held by the opposite hand.
- new grasp callbacks within the InteractionController
- modified Fundamental UI instance scene demonstrating how a InteractionButton UI panel will be moved with out inflicting the connected bodily buttons to wobble
You possibly can see the complete record of modifications, together with minor modifications and fixes to the Graphic Renderer and Fingers Modules, on our releases web page.
We’ve massively up to date the Leap Movement Unreal Engine integration with the plugin model three.zero launch. The brand new plugin options:
- Main efficiency optimization. A totally optimized LeapC integration, timewarp assist for lowest doable latency, and a completely multi-threaded backend with no-copy information dealing with that enables many fingers pushed by the identical information with no penalty.
- Simplified rigging assist. New deformable rigged fingers that match the proportions of person fingers at the moment are customary. For customized rigs, a customized anim occasion allows bone auto-mapping from Leap information to your rig – vastly lowering the complexity and time required to get a customized rig up and operating.
- Modules and examples. In the event you want examples to assist a particular function, these can be found outdoors the plugin as elective modules. Right here you’ll discover examples for:
- Touching UMG UI
- Physics interplay with bins and buttons
- Rigging examples for customized rigs
- And extra! Try the examples on the LeapUnrealModules repo
- Interplay Engine. An early launch of the Leap Movement Interplay Engine for Unreal Engine with hover and grasp assist.
Obtain the brand new plugin now for Unreal Engine four.19.
LeapC and Legacy APIs
With this newest launch, we’re additionally formally transferring away from older intermediate-level APIs and in direction of sturdy engine integrations constructed on our LeapC API.
Launched in 2016, LeapC is a extremely optimized C-style API designed to fulfill the efficiency calls for of digital actuality. You should utilize LeapC straight in a C program, however the library is primarily supposed for creating bindings to higher-level languages. Our integrations for Unity (and now Unreal Engine!) are constructed on this API.
These releases have been within the works for a while, and we’re excited to lastly share them with you. Tell us what you suppose on our neighborhood boards and make your pull requests on the Unreal and Unity repos.